Last Update: 2020-08-04
Table of Contents
Welcome to the dedicated web page for the beta of SUSE Manager. SUSE Manager is a solution for organizations that require absolute control over maintenance and package deployment on their servers. It lets you manage large sets of Linux systems and keep them up to date, with automated software management, asset management, and system provisioning. SUSE Manager allows you to maintain a high level of security while effectively managing system life-cycle requirements.
- Cluster Integration
- CI/CD integration with existing Terraform and git installations (Cluster Setup) (not yet included!)
- UI/UXimprovements Focused on Public Cloud and SLES 4 SAP use cases Installation & initial configuration, Daily operation (web UI part), Daily operation (SUSE Manager maintenance)
- ~10k managed systems per server for basic functionality (hardware/software inventory, patching)
- Virtualization Management
- Maintenance Windows and Patch Automation
- Based on SLES 15 SP2 Beta! More details
- PostgreSQL 12 (not yet included!)
- SLE 15 image build support
- Upstream development with Uyuni
- New clients support
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Real Time 12 SP5
- MicroFocus Open Enterprise Server 2018 SP2 (product GA in Q2 2020)
- CentOS 6, 7 and 8
- Yomi as Technology Preview
Yomi (yet one more installer) is a Salt-based installer for SUSE and openSUSE operating systems.
In SUSE Manager 4.1, Yomi can be used as part of provisioning new clients, as an alternative to AutoYaST. Yomi consists of two components:
- The Yomi formula, which contains the Salt states and modules required to perform the installation.
- The operating system image, which includes the pre-configured salt-minion service.
Detailed information on how to use Yomi is available from the Salt Guide.
Yomi is work in progress and more operating systems and features will be added in coming releases.
- SUSE Manager Hub XML-RPC API as Technology Preview
The SUSE Manager Hub is a new multi-server architecture we are introducing as a technology preview in SUSE Manager 4.1 Beta 1.
Multiple SUSE Manager Servers can be managed from a single Hub node. The Hub is a Salt master itself and the managed SUSE Manager Server servers are both a minion (to the hub) and a master (to their own minions).
Please check out our Release Notes for more information.
Beta 2— March 25, 2020
Beta 3 — April 23, 2020
Beta 4 — May 22, 2020 Release Candidate 1 — June 18th, 2020 GMC — July 06, 2020 FCS — End of July, 2020 (First Customer Shipment)
Please note that we reserve the right to change or adapt this schedule depending on various factors. Rest assured that we will communicate if there is any change to the plan.
Note: The following Documents are drafts.
And will remain as such through out the SUSE Manager Beta Program. Documentation for Beta Products do not yet have the quality, accuracy and content of our official documentation. However we will update these documents on the fly during the SUSE Manager Beta Program.
Installation Guide, Client Configuration Guide, Upgrade Guide, Reference Guide, Administration Guide, Salt Guide, Retail Guide are all available on the same address:
Whenever you find a bug or have a question while using SUSE Manager, we highly recommend that you use our mailing list first, then if it really make sense you should open a bug report.
In case you are a SUSE’s partners or customers and would like to share some sensitive data with us (data for bug reports, feedbacks, etc), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will review your case and provide a private channel with us.
Public Mailing List
email@example.com is our dedicated Public Mailing List to discuss SUSE Manager Beta. It is used by the SUSE Release Team to announce beta news and technical information, as well as for general or technical questions, feedback, or defect reports related to SUSE Manager Beta from our beta testers community. Only subscribers can post to our mailing lists. To subscribe, please go to http://lists.suse.com/mailman/listinfo/manager-beta.
Only subscribers can post to our mailing lists. To subscribe, please go to http://lists.suse.com/mailman/listinfo/manager-beta.
Please refer to our Mailing Lists Guideline for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
– Error message when trying to download isos
Please try again with a “Private Window” in your browser, if it works, this mean that you need to
clear your cache and cookies for suse.com and download.suse.com in your browser.
If it doesn’t work, sorry for the inconvenience, please report your issue to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Contact Beta Manager
Do you have a question or an issue to report on our Beta Program? Want to get in touch with our Product Managers or Engineering team? Or simply share a feedback? Please do not hesitate to contact us via email@example.com!