SAP applications are a crucial part of your customer’s digital transformation, but with SAP’s move to SAP S/4HANA, this can also present a challenge.
Luckily, this doesn’t have to be a showstopper. You can embrace the power of the cloud to drive your transformation and host SAP HANA.
SUSE and Microsoft offer jointly engineered solutions built to support SAP on SUSE in Azure Cloud and drive your organization forward today and tomorrow.
Here are a list of useful resources that can help in your journey as you deploy or migrate your SAP applications to the cloud:
Simplified Infrastructure deployment based on Microsoft SAP Reference Architecture on SUSE
Tools from SUSE
SUSE Microsoft Solution Templates
Solution templates are designed to simplify and automate the creation of the required infrastructure for deploying SAP Netweaver and SAP HANA on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications premium images in Azure. These templates will create:
- Several virtual machines
- Virtual network and subnet
- Several disks depending on the solution sizes
- Availability Sets and load balancer if High-Availablity (HA) is selected
SUSE Github – SUSE Microsoft Solution Templates
This repository provides several predefined solution templates for SAP Applications from SUSE and Microsoft for simplified deployment on Microsoft Azure
Benefits of Solution Templates:
- Use SAP certified instance types
- Use the right size and performance disk drives for production SAP instance
- Make use of the right Azure features needed for productive instance (accelerated disk and networking)
- The Github version allows customization if the marketplace version does not fit.
- In addition it allows partners to collaboratively work on it.
Automated SAP/HA Deployments in Public/Private Clouds with Terraform
Find Terraform configuration files by Public or Private Cloud providers, each containing documentation relevant to the use of the configuration files and to the cloud provider itself.
Tools from Microsoft
Automating SAP deployments in Microsoft Azure using Terraform and Ansible
Use this set of highly customizable templates to automatically deploy complex SAP landscapes in the Azure Cloud. The templates are split into:
- Terraform modules which deploy the infrastructure components (such as VMs, network, storage) in Azure and then call the:
- Ansible playbooks which run different roles to install and configure SAP HANA and required applications on the already deployed infrastructure.
- HANA single-node instance
- single-node HANA instance
- HANA high-availability pair
- single-node HANA instance, two-tier HSR (primary/secondary)
- Pacemaker high-availability cluster, fully configured with SBD and SAP/Azure resource agents
You might also like to read this Microsoft blog for more information.
Older scripted deployment from AzureCAT Team for POCs
This ARM template is used to install SAP HANA on a single VM running SUSE SLES 12 SP3. This is more useful for conducting Proof of Concept (PoC).
Note : Both MSFT tools, as of today, do not care about production instances. However, customers (and partners) still need to choose the right sizes and features themselves.
Links to Documentation
The available documentation is constantly updated, incorporating feedback from customer deployments and issues identified. So do bookmark these pages and refer to the latest versions available online.
Using Azure for hosting and running SAP workload scenarios
Microsoft Azure Marketplace